Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Berlin and then Crossing the Border

Berlin. Berlin. Berlin. Berlin is full of everything. It has a lot to offer, and falls short on almost nothing. It is beautiful, has great sight seeing places, and colourful history to tell. My friends' mother took me to an ice-cream place where they serve the best ice-cream in Berlin. I've not tried every ice-cream place there, but I do believe that that was best ice cream in the city! It was brilliant, full of flavour. The next day, Friday, I had a long morning, as per usual, and then went for a cycling tour in the city. I managed to see a lot of hings despite the short time I spent there. Along the things I saw were the Brandenburg Gate, Tiergarten, part of Berlin Wall, the Jewish Memorial, and others. After my short city tour I was off to Furstenwalde, a city not too far from the Polish and German border. I left the city relatively late, and arrived at my hosts place at about ten in the evening. The ride wasn't too exhausting. My host in Furstenwalde was a very pleasant man who welcomed me like a friend. We talked about my trip and other things. It was a very nice, calm evening/ In the morning after late breakfast he and two of his kids ode with me to show me the right way to go off to Poland.

Distance: 50 km



The ride from Furstenwalde started off not too good. It was a very hot day, and I had put a lot of sun cream on, and was very frustrated about the heat, it was difficult to ride in such condition. But soon I grew accustom to the situation and managed to overcome my frustration. I got to the border at Frankfurt Oder (Germany) and Slubice (Poland). From there I cycled to my host's city Sulecin. I took my time on the German side of the trip, and so I was a bit behind schedule. Poland welcomed with beautiful cities, and in some places free WiFi spots. Can't complain! :D The ride in Poland was on the road since there were no cycling paths. It felt very unsafe, but it's not like I had much of a choice. I had my high visibility vest on, made me feel a bit safer. I arrived at my host's place at soon after ten.  It has so far been a great experience. My host stays with her parents (until today, so I was very lucky), they took me in like a guest of honour! I am the first guest they are having from Couch Surfing, so they tried their very best to make me feel like at home. Actually all my hosts so far have been wonderful and there is no bad thing to say. I've been very fortunate. Today I have about 80 km ride from Sulecin to Zbaszyn. My host's mother just now told me that there is quite a bit of the road to go uphill. I think I will handle it well. I had a surprise yesterday to see that Poland has some hills. They don't seem very apparent, but when on a bicycle every hill is noticeable. It is always worth it because what goes up must come down. :)

Distance 100 km 


P.S. I will no longer write the time, since I basically spend the whole day to get from point A to point B. That what I am here for! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment